thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

A Countess Below Stairs

A Countess Below Stairs - Oh man, there was a large cast of people in this book. It was pretty overwhelming. It didn’t help that there were many side stories about people who aren’t that important to the overall story. I had a really hard time keeping everyone straight and remembering what was going on.Anna is likeable but she’s one of those heroine who is incredibly and a bit unrealistically perfect. I can understand that she’s willing to take on a menial job in order to provide for her family. Most people would do that but I don’t know many people who would be all smiles and completely perky while working long days on tough jobs. If she grumbled just a bit she would be more realistic and likeable.I didn’t love the fact the Earl and his fiance were so flat. It’s a fairy tale-ish type story so of course the Earl is going to be charming and be a perfect match for Anna. Of course the finance is going to start off nice but end up as a horrible, mean girl. I just wish there had been more depth to those characters. It would have made the story more interesting.While I enjoyed the story, it was pretty slow going. The story just drug along for most of the book. Things could definitely moved faster and cut some stuff out in my opinion. Despite that there was definitely some charm to the story. It wasn’t as much as I wanted but it was just enough to keep me reading and smiling through the book.The bottom line? It was a nice story. If you like historical fiction with a touch of romance, you’d like this!