thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Priscilla the Great

Priscilla the Great - Sybil Nelson This was a very fun book. I loved that the book was able to combine two different genres: contemporary and fantasy/sci-fi. On the contemporary side, we have Priscilla dealing with very normal problems: boy/girl parties, dealing with guy problems, having annoying siblings. Then there’s the fantastical elements: shooting fire from her fingers, super hearing, having a mutant for a mom. I never felt like the two sides of the story were awkwardly placed together. It felt very natural that Priscilla would have to deal with boys AND save her family.Priscilla was an awesome character. She’s spunky and funny. She’s a strong girl which is always nice. She might not have a clue exactly what she’s doing but she’s going to at least try to save the day rather than wait for someone else to do it.I appreciated the humor in the book. MG books tend to have a hard time with humor. They need to be funny for the intended audience (8-12 year olds). In many cases, what’s funny to them isn’t funny to the rest of us (which might be why older people don’t read MG books as much as YA books). Priscilla is able to be funny to those younger kids and to me as an adult. Come one who doesn’t enjoy sarcastic commentary? Not to mention her teenage brother has a very funny obsession with Christina Aguilera.The bottom line? It’s a funny, kick butt MG book.