thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Cloaked in Red

Cloaked in Red - Vivian Vande Velde Like with any short story collection some stories were better than others. I’ll briefly talk about each story so don’t read on if you don’t want too many spoilers. -The Red Cloak- Interesting twist for the woodcutter to be bad. -The Red Riding Hood Doll- Very odd. It’s the furthest from the original story. -Little Red Riding Hood’s Family- The paranormal aspect could have been cool but I didn’t like it very much. It felt too silly. -Granny and the Wolf- This was a bit funny. I enjoy those stories where there’s too many secrets going on and you have to make sure people don’t know about the other people. - Deems the Wood Gatherer- I loved how it had other fairy tales in it. I guess fairy tales all take place in the same woods. -Why Willy and His Brother Won’t Ever Amount to Anything- Yet another story that twists the original tale quite a bit. The Grimm brothers were a fun addition. -The Little Red Headache- Yay this story has the wolf trying to be the good guy. -Little Red Riding Hood’s Little Red Riding Hood- I liked that the red riding hood was a character in this story. It’s pretty amusing to read about a hood trying to save the day. Of course, Little Red is oblivious to it all.The bottom line? Amusing. I’d like to read more books like this with other fairy tales.