thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Golden Scarab (Quest, #1)

The Golden Scarab (Quest, #1) - S.W. Lothian The Golden Scarab stands up decently against the other action adventure books out there. You’ve got quests, myths that turn out to be true, and danger. What else could you want? I thought it was interesting that the author took a different style of narration. Many MG books tend to have a juvenile narrator. There’s nothing wrong with that but it can be a bit off if the author isn’t quite able to capture the right voice. In The Golden Scarab, the author chose to avoid the juvenile narrator route. Instead he treats the reader like an adult. He doesn’t talk down to them but instead treats them as an equal. It’s hard to find that in books.There was lots of good information about ancient Egypt in the book. I don’t know a ton about Egypt but it seems to me that the author did his research and presents the information in an easy to read and true way. He doesn’t take the Percy Jackson route and twist mythology around to make it easy to understand.Sadly I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I wanted to. It’s no fault of the author though. It did have some action, mystery, and a bit of history, all of which I love. I had the same problem with this book as I did with The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. For whatever reason Egypt mythology don’t hold my interest at all. Because the Egypt stuff didn’t stick with me, I couldn’t completely “click” with the story or the characters.The bottom line? It’s a fun story. Recommended for fans of the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan!*I received this book from the author in exchange for a honest review.