thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Boy: Tales of Childhood

Boy: Tales of Childhood - Quentin Blake, Roald Dahl I’ve said it before but overall I’m not a huge fan of non-fiction. Real life is kind of boring! When I read I want to escape this world for another world.Mr. Dahl captures the essence of his autobiography perfectly with a quote on the back of my book. “An autobiography is a book a person writes about his own life and it is usually full of all sorts of boring details. This is not an autobiography.” This book is not boring at all. Dahl is able to recreate the magic of his stories with his life.The book doesn’t try to tell Dahl’s whole story. That would be difficult to do. Instead he just focuses on things he remembers from his childhood. Obviously the things you remember as an adult had a lasting impression on you. The beginning of the book is just full of details about his parents and how they met.The story really picks up when he’s old enough to go to school. I loved his little stories about the mischief he got into. You can see that he still remembered what it’s like to be a kid. Maybe that’s why his stories are so popular with children.The stories about his childhood were really fascinating. He’s able to tell the stories in a way that makes you want to keep reading. The best part was you could really see how his childhood influenced his stories. The awful adults in many of his books? Those were all inspired by his teachers. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? That was totally influenced by the fact that Dahl taste tested Cadbury’s chocolate as a kid.The bottom line? A must read for all Dahl fans out there.