thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane (The Underland Chronicles, Book 2)

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane - Suzanne  Collins I enjoyed this book more than the first book. I think a lot of my 'problem' with the first book was there was so much to cram in. Collins had to introduce a whole new world, new characters, and tell the story. That's a lot going on. Since the world is set up, the main focus of this book is the story.The quest was fun enough. I kind of like the idea of using prophecies in the books. It's like a great big puzzle. I try to understand the meaning before the characters but that never works out for me. For some reason this quest really reminded me a bit of Greek mythology. There's a labyrinth which is in many myths. The ship and their journey made me think of Jason and the Argonauts. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws.I liked the characters better in this story. I thought many of them were cold and standoff-ish in book one. I don't know if they were any warmer in this book or if I was just used to how they were but I liked them more this time. Gregor grows up. He's a hero but he's not the hero you think he'd be. Because he makes the different choices, it makes him a better and stronger person.The bottom line? I enjoyed it! If you liked the first book, you'll want to pick this up as well.