thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Magicians

The Magicians - Lev Grossman This book screams 'Alison' in every way possible. Some people have likened the book as Harry Potter for adults or Harry Potter, the college years (which is totally misleading, by the way). That caught my interest obviously. I was immediately attracted to the idea of wandering into a romanticized fictional land. As someone who read quite a bit as a child and for many, many years wondered what it would be like to attend Hogwarts, this was a very interesting idea.Grossman handles the situation in a very 'real' way. He illustrates the fact that fiction and reality are completely different. Sure, it might seem fun to go on quests, hunt for treasure, or whatever you're called to do but the fact of the matter is what fictional characters go through is very dangerous and not fun at all. You would think that as someone who has read fantasy for years that idea would have crossed my mind at some point. In all honesty? Not really. Like Quentin I have this idealized notion stuck in my head of what things would be like so seeing how things 'really' are was eye opening for me as well.The book is fairly realistic or as realistic as you can be when discussing magic. You don't wave a wand shout funny words. You concentrate on what you want to happen and practice it over and over and over again. It's hard work and not fun.You would think I'd like Quentin because we have a good deal in common. I really didn't like him though. Actually, I didn't like any of the characters. They all seemed so miserable. Not to mention they were friends but it really seemed like they wanted to destroy each other.If you haven't read this book, please be warned that it's not lighthearted or fun. Labeling this as Harry Potter for adults does the book a huge disservice. Yes, it gets the general point across but it also misleads the reader. Not to mention it will confuse the reader and might turn them off of the book because it's not what they're expecting. Teenagers behave badly, swear, and drink and Grossman captures this.The book's pacing is completely weird. The first half of the book is Quentin's ~5 years of schooling. Just when you think the book would draw to a close there is a whole other section of the book: the journey to Fillory. It really feels like it's 2 books squished together.The bottom line? It's a really interesting read for fantasy fans.