thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Woman in White

The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins I went into this book completely blind. I searched quite a while for a decent summary of the book but never could find a good one. All I could find were reviews of people who really enjoyed it.I have to say all those people were on target! This was surprisingly enjoyable. I have a strained relationship with classics so I wasn't sure if I'd get along with this book. I think a lot of my enjoyment came from taking it easy with the book. I didn't go into trying to read the whole thing in a few days. I spaced it out and read a few sections a day for almost a month. It really helped because I wasn't too overwhelmed and the book was written as a serial.First the 'bad'. This book was long and pretty dense (at least for me). I felt the author was pretty wordy in some places and just wished he would move on. There were some parts that I did skim because of how long he was taking.Now the good. I loved the use of many, many narrators. I've read books that have used multiple narrators before but this was very different. It was interesting to 'hear' the story from different people. I didn't have a hard time keeping everyone straight. Everyone had a pretty distinct voice.The plot/story was really good. Because the book is so long, the story takes many different twists and turns. I never knew what to expect. I can predict what will happen in mysteries a good portion of the time but this book threw me off. I was wrong about everything that I suspected! While the book is a mystery, it isn't a 'keep you on the edge of your seat' mystery. It is more slow paced than mystery books today.Rating 4/5If you love mysteries and/or classics, definitely pick this book up! Just be aware that it's not a quick read though.