thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

The Island of Lost Maps: A True Story of Cartographic Crime

The Island of Lost Maps: A True Story of Cartographic Crime - -First and foremost, I'm really not a fan of non fiction. Some can be interesting enough but enough to keep my interest to read the whole thing.-This book was pretty disappointing. I was hoping it would be more like a true crime book walking through the thief's steps because that would have been kind of cool. Instead we got the author as a character in his book.-The book had so much other stuff in it, the 'real' story got lost. No joke about 40-50% of the book is the author's 'journey' and what happened when he met with someone who crossed paths with the thief once and things like that. There was also tons of history. History about maps. History about map thieves.-When the author was actually focused and talked about the thief, the story was okay but not enough to redeem it from the other stuff.Rating 2/5If you're into cartography, non fiction, and/or history you might enjoy this.