thecheapreader

The Cheap Reader

Peter and the Starcatchers (Starcatchers Series #1)

Peter and the Starcatchers (Starcatchers Series #1) - Since this is a 'prequel' I guess it doesn't really matter but I've never actually read Peter Pan. I saw the Disney movie once as a kid so I have a general idea of what the story is about. In my defense, I've been trying to read Peter Pan for about a year now on my Kindle but never get too far. It just never catches my attention so I always stop after a few pages.Back to this story...it was really enjoyable. I'm a fan of the trend of what I call professional fan-fiction (re-telling or additional stories to a story the reader is familiar with). It is a bit weird to write a prequel to a book that already has a prequel though... You can absolutely read this book without any prior knowledge of Peter Pan. It simply makes it more fun if you know the story because you see how things all into place and figure out the characters.I did have a bit of trouble getting into the story. The first 100 pages or so were a bit blah. Things picked up when the starstuff was explained. (I hate being left in the dark) The rest of the story is pretty action packed.My biggest problem was following all the stories. Each chapter focuses on one of the subplots so it got really difficult trying to follow all the action at some points. By the time you got back to the sub story you're interested in, you're not quite sure what's going on.The length does make the story drag though. It took me about a week to get through the story.Review 3.5/5It was an enjoyable fantasy story. I will probably eventually pick up the next installment of the series at some point. I might even finish Peter Pan eventually.